Fraud by Uber (a true story)
1. 2018-08-07 : A 68 year old, sick client, books a ride from the client’s home
to Apollo Hospital, for consulting a neurologist, on a serious medical
problem which the client was having , by Uber using Uber App. on his mobile.
2. Uber accepts the call, and assigns a driver for the ride .
3. After several minutes of delay and uncertainty, the driver quietly abandons the
call. The driver, or Uber, give no indication that the call was being aborted,
neither do they give any reason for the same. Consequently, the proposed
ride NEVER took place. The client is put to enormous mental stress and
agony and anxiety. This is a clear case of irresponsible behaviour and
breach of trust.
4. Mysteriously, Uber makes a claim of “Payment pending” for Rs. 57.75,
using the Uber app. , for a trip which never took place.
This tantamounts to deliberate fraud and an act of “adding injury to insult” .
5. The client promptly lodges a protest using the Uber app. and follows up with
sternly worded emails.
6. Uber implicitly accepts the lapse, and responds that the amount collected
is being refunded to the client. Uber however keeps dilly-dallying and tries
its best, to wriggle out of the episode, by trying to call up the client by phone, so as to cover up its lapses and leave no traces.
7. After about 50 sternly worded emails and warning messages and a notice
that the matter will be reported to law enforcement agencies, the disputed
amount of Rs. 57.75 was eventually credited to the client’s bank account.
8. This matter is still far from resolved, since Uber is yet to :
a. Explain in detail why this incident occurred, in the first place.
b. Explain why Uber extracted the payment for a trip which was never
made — a deliberate act of fraud.
c. Offer an open and publicly visible apology for inflicting enormous mental
agony and anxiety to the sick client, by denying him a trip to the hospital.
d. Explain in detail the action taken on the fraudulent driver for his dishonest
and irresponsible behaviour.
e. Give all details of the transfer claimed to have been made by Uber viz.
date on which the transfer was initiated, Transaction Ref. number, Mode of
transfer, amount transferred, Name and designation of the person who
initiated this mysterious transfer.
Get in touch with — firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have had any unpleasant experiences with Uber, Hyderabad, India. You have a right to defend yourself.